We are seeking reliable individuals with a clean driving and criminal record and ability to pass a drug test. Wage DOE + benefits. Please email your resume to [email protected]
Under the supervision of the Landscape Field Supervisor and Grounds Operation Manager; the Groundskeeper ensures the upkeep, cleanliness, and improvement of grounds at multi-family housing properties. Takes daily direction from the Landscape Field Supervisor. Rely on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operates and maintains lawn mowers used in grounds work (sprayers, pruners, and trimmers) to ensure they work effectively and safely.
- Works successfully with others, following proper channels in communicating complaints or concerns about operations.
- Takes the initiative in proposing improvements to grounds, including lawns, shrubs, trees, flowers, seeding, planting and landscaping.
- Reports safety, sanitary and fire hazards immediately to supervisor.
- Interacts thoughtfully and courteously with public, residents, and staff and resolves conflict in a professional manner.
- Maintains appropriate training as required.
- Occasionally performs work beyond a standard 40-hour work week when workload requires.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Follows all NeighborWorks’ policies and procedures including consistently using personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Attends work regularly and is punctual.
- In spring, summer, and fall seasons: maintains all walking surfaces, roads, and parking areas keeping them clear of dirt/debris and hazards/obstructions such as tree branches and litter through the use of brooms, power sweepers, blowers, shovels, pressure washers and other standard tools and equipment. Maintains lawn areas through the use of walk behind mowers, leaf-blowers trimmers, rakes, lawn thatcher and edger. May use hand saws, pruning shears, hedgers, compactors, spreaders, battery operated drill and screw gun, hammers and other standard hand tools to spread grass seed or fertilizer, remove or install plant material, prune trees and shrubs, pull weeds, repair or install retaining walls, borders, fences, sign posts, fix pot holes, and pathways. Other basic landscape related tasks including but not limited to digging holes, spreading gravel, soil or mulch, irrigating lawns or other ornamental landscape areas and remove bulk waste items or landscape debris. Picks up litter and debris to keep parking lots, lawns, playgrounds and areas around dumpsters clean.
- In the winter, ensures that all walking surfaces, steps, ramps, doorways, entrances to buildings, parking lot and roadways are free of ice, snow, litter and debris through use of shovels, snow blowers, ice chippers. Routinely treats icy areas using ice melt spreaders, Shovels snow and chips ice as needed. Mitigates and reports hazards to supervisor and completes written ice control safety reports daily.
- Reports to the Resident Manager, Lead Groundskeeper or supervisor of any hazards, broken or vandalized areas of the property, or any situations requiring decisions or actions to keep the buildings and grounds in a pleasing, safe, and secure condition.
- Follows the direction of the lead groundskeeper or supervisor for all work. Must perform duties to the standards of the supervisor and NeighborWorks® Alaska’s high standards for their properties.
- In accordance with our safety guidelines, operates small engine machinery to mow lawns, trim hedges, and remove snow. Trims shrubs and plants as needed. (See prohibitions for minors, below.)
- Performs related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works well with others from diverse backgrounds. Ability to interact with public, residents, and staff.
- Ability to communicate fluently verbally and in writing in English.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of mowing and landscaping equipment including mowers, trimmers, edger, weed whackers, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stand and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception and peripheral vision. The employee must demonstrate strength and dexterity to operate standard landscape maintenance equipment/tools.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally high. The employee is exposed to a variety of conditions including: wet or humid, work near moving parts, work in precarious places, a variety of petroleum-based agents, some hazardous chemicals, and outdoor weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, insects, dust and vibration.
PREFERRED (but not required) QUALIFICATIONS: Some prior experience in lawn maintenance or janitorial type work is helpful.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. NeighborWorks may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems necessary.