Position Title: Lead Groundskeeper
Supervisor: Landscape Field Supervisor
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Location: 2515 A Street, Anchorage, Alaska, and multi-family housing properties located throughout Anchorage
Status: Full-Time, Regular
Under the direct supervision of the Landscape Field Supervisor and the Grounds Operations Manager, this position must provide leadership that directs Groundskeepers, work processes, and training. This position may provide input into hiring and overall performance of Groundskeepers. The Lead Groundskeeper takes an active role in various grounds keeping operations including; giving direction to other groundskeepers, general upkeep of the grounds, landscape maintenance, landscape irrigation, and general upkeep jobs throughout the properties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates Leads small teams and work groups to perform duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor, taking responsibility for and ensuring completion of daily grounds keeping tasks at various properties. Must follow written and/or verbal directions and perform duties up to the standard of the
- Ensures that work groups adhere to all NWAK and OSHA safety policies and regulations to include enforcement of proper use of PPEs (Personal Protection Equipment) to include wearing of appropriate clothing and footwear for the job. Responsible for documenting violations and submission to the supervisor.
- Responsible for groundskeeping assignments to include maintaining walking surfaces, roads, and parking areas and clearing ice and snow, trash, dirt and debris as well as hazards or obstructions through use of brooms, power sweepers, blowers, shovels, ice chippers, snow blowers, pressure washers, spreaders, snow blowers,and other standard tools and equipment. Maintains lawn areas using ride-on and walk behind mowers, leaf-blowers, trimmers, rakes, lawn thatcher and edger. Routinely treats icy areas using ice melt spreaders, truck mounted sand spreaders and liquid de-icing equipment. Occasional use of hand saws, pruning shears, chainsaws, hedgers, front end loader, compactors, spreaders, battery operated drill and screw gun, hammers and other standard hand tools. Other basic landscaping tasks include but are not limited to digging holes, spreading gravel, soil or mulch, irrigating lawns, and removal of bulk waste items or landscape debris. May be required to operate a box truck, a pickup truck with lift- gate, water tank, and/or
- Reports to the Resident Manager and supervisor any hazards, broken or vandalized areas on the property, or any situations requiring decisions or actions to keep the buildings and grounds in pleasant, safe, and secure conditions.
- Follows the direction of the supervisor for all Must perform duties up to the standards of the supervisor and NeighborWorks Alaska.
- Follows all safety guidelines and operates company vehicles in accordance with company and state laws and (See prohibitions for minors, below.)
- Performs related duties as assigned by the
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works well with others from diverse Ability to interact with public, residents, and staff.
- Ability to communicate fluently verbally and in writing in
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized
- Ability to operate variety of mowing and landscaping equipment including mowers, trimmers, edger, weed whackers, etc.
- Must understand the legal responsibilities in the employment and limitations of
- Must have valid driver’s license and current auto
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stand and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception and peripheral vision. The employee must demonstrate strength and dexterity to operate common tools used in landscape maintenance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally high. The employee is exposed to a variety of conditions including: wet or humid, work near moving parts, work in precarious places, a variety of petroleum-based agents, some hazardous chemicals, and outdoor weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, insects, dust and vibration.
PREFERRED (but not required) QUALIFICATIONS: Some prior experience in lawn maintenance or janitorial type work is helpful.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment.
NeighborWorks may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems necessary.